The Dove, Bury St Edmunds

68 Hospital Road, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk IP33 3JU | Tel: 01284 702787

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The Old Dove

Probably dating from the late 1830’s, the Dove was licensed to sell only beer until as late as 1929 when Greene King transferred the liquor license from the Hunted Stag in St. Johns Street to George Cole of the Dove. The house appears in White’s 1844 Directory as an unnamed beerhouse in Union Terrace, the name given to the new row of terraced houses which were taken down in 1960 and which have since been replaced by modern housing.

This terrace was named after the nearby Union Workhouse, which was situated just round the corner from the Dove.

The Dove will be remembered by many of its older customers as one of the last “basic” pubs in Bury, with two small and uncarpeted rooms and an atmosphere which reflected its beerhouse origins. This has, of course, all changed in recent years and the Dove has expanded to double its old bar size with the acquisition of an empty property adjoining it.

Taken from Old Inns and Beerhouses of Bury St. Edmunds by Gerry Nixon, with the authors permission – published by CAMRA

Draft Listing of Landlords at The Dove – Bury St Edmunds

... note if visitors to this web site can add any further information on the history of the Dove - please make contact.

Real Ale served here

Real Ale

How to find us

Find Us

Join to stay updated

Email Club